A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Cinnamon Cookie Granola

I've been inside and homebound much more this week than normal. Sick kiddos ... first one, and then another, who still isn't quite recovered. That means that some afternoon activities had to been put by the side, and we hung out together inside.

That also meant that while sweet sick boys laid on the couch, I got more time in the kitchen = ) This was a bonus for Eli, who probably got more warm home-cooked meals this week than in quite a while ... also meant I got to try a few recipes that I've been waiting for time to work on. AND, my house got cleaned each day! Maybe a slower pace did me some good, wink wink.

One of the recipes I've been wanting to try was this one for granola (yes, her pictures are AMAZING)
. I've had an unopened jar of Cookie Butter that a friend gave me ... but I've resisted opening it and just eating it one little spoonful at time (because if it got opened, that surely would happen!) over a few weeks, because I wanted to save it to bake with. Saw this recipe on Pinterest, and I was sold. We love to have granola over here, and I always like to try various kinds! I modified it just slightly, and we are gobbling up the container-full.

This means that, unfortunately, my jar of Cookie Butter won't last long now. Sigh. I've been hoping and hoping someday a Trader Joe's will come to Lawrence, because I really don't make trips to KC just to shop for groceries that are hard to find around here. Or, perhaps given the nature of how addictive this granola is, it might be a fortunate event in that I will make a couple more batches and we'll be out. Either way, it is t.h.a.t. g.o.o.d.


Cinnamon Cookie Granola 
2 1/2 c. old fashioned oats
3/4 c. shredded coconut
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
*mix together in a bowl - set aside
1/3 c. Cookie Butter
1/8 c. canola oil (or oil of your choice)
1/4 c. honey
*microwave together for about 40 seconds, and then mix well. If not melted enough to mix well, microwave again for 15 seconds. Pour over your oat mixture and stir well. Pour into a glass baking dish and bake at 275 degrees, for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with-
1/2 c. Cinnamon chips
*Let the cinnamon chips melt a bit into your granola, and then give a gentle stir. Let everything sit until completely cooled and then you'll have sweet, slightly crunchy granola, with some good chunks .... just the way we like it over here!

No comments:

Post a Comment