A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Monday, November 12, 2012

Flax Seed Bars

When I was at the beginning of nursing Matthias ... and joining the ranks of nursing mamas who want to ensure a healthy milk supply, I googled lactation cookies, and oh my! I had actually never heard of them until a friend of mine mentioned making them for another friend who was also nursing at the time. Apparently, I have been behind the times. Recipes abound as well as websites that you can order lactation cookies from! Basic premise is this: (if you're like me, and didn't have any idea) they include flax seed, oats, and nutritional or brewer's yeast, all believed to be galactagogues, substances that improve lactation. Put all three together, and it's like a power packed little treat.

Anyway, I found a recipe that looked decent and wasn't completely packed with sugar = ) and made a batch. I was pretty happy with the results, and began tweaking the recipe to suit me and my tastes. I altered some ingredients, and make the cookies into bars - because, well, dumping all the dough into a pan and baking it was easier than making cookies! Eli affectionately calls them "birdseed bars" and will have nothing to do with them.

I still make them on a regular basis. Not because of milk supply concerns (because obviously anyone can eat them! Doesn't mean you'll start to produce milk or anything ...), but because they are a quick and easy snack to grab if we are running out the door and I haven't had a good breakfast, or I need a little something in my stomach before teaching a class at the gym, or any other number of reasons! My mom often has one when she stops by around lunch time to do math with Jonah.

Sorry - the picture isn't great, taken at night, but you get the idea!

My basic recipe is pretty modifiable ... you could leave out the yeast, you could add in raisins, choc chips, other dried fruit, or any number of things, I think. I want to try subbing the margarine for applesauce next time I make them. I often measure rather loosely, I admit! And they come out fine every time = )

Flax Seed Bars
 
1/2 c. peanut butter
3 T. softened margarine or butter
1/2 c. ground flax meal
2 T. nutritional yeast
1/6 c. water
1/2 c. brown sugar (I usually do a bit less)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
*Mix all together well
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. old fashioned oats
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
*add to wet mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 8x8 pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes!

Sometimes they are a bit crumbly, but that really doesn't bother me! I enjoy the nutty, oat-y flavor very much. I keep them cut, in a container in the fridge, since I am the only one who eats them, I figure they will keep better that way! I would love it if others would give them a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment