A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Cookies and CrossFit

I finally got one item crossed off our fall bucket list! Sugar Cookies! Holidays mean a great time to make cut-out sugar cookies. The boys LOVE this. They get to help make the dough, roll it out, cut the shapes (taste leftovers pieces - of course!), and then decorate. I've gone pretty simple in terms of decorating sugar cookies in the last couple years. Rather than a traditional buttercream or anything, I just make a simple glaze with powdered sugar and milk, color it, and let the boys drizzle it on and spread around. Easy peasy. Sometimes when we do cookies with my in-laws, my mother-in-law gets fancier and we have fun with that too! But, I'm going for a quick and easy decorating time. = )
 
 
We made the dough on Thursday, chilled it so we could bake and glaze on Friday, and then this afternoon, we made some royal frosting to write friends' names on the cookies so the boys can take some to church to share. Because we don't need three dozen cookies sitting around the house! The last 24 hours has already been torture to them because they just want to eat cookies! Time to share! = )
 
 
And today, I went to a CrossFit training, of sorts, with the other trainers from our gym. It was a combo training, we listened and asked questions and get lots of info and good re-motivation to give our clients the best workout possible to get them to a great state of fitness! And then did some hands-on work, working on form, technique, etc., before they put us through a short but intense workout!
 
LOVED IT.
 

But I always love a good workout! = ) It was fun. Made me realize I completely stink at pull-ups ... but now that may become a personal goal of mine. It was good to have someone pushing yelling at me to work a bit harder and give more. I push my clients, but it is good to have someone do the same back to me! And it is ALWAYS good to remember why I love even the small amount of personal training that I do ... and how amazing it is to see ladies reach goals and go past those goals!
 
*****
 
And now ... the boys are in bed. I'm headed there myself. Praying Matthias won't have bad nights like he has the last two. And I will leave you with a classic Reuben story ...
 
Putting him to bed, he said, "Mom, it will be awesome when we get to go to heaven!" Yes, Reuben, it will! "And I will get to tell Jesus I am sorry for all the bad things that I do." Well, yes, but Jesus forgives us now when we say we are sorry. "No, I just want to say sorry in heaven." But, sometimes you say sorry here, like when you need to say sorry to Mom when you do something naughty.      Pause.     "Mom, I would rather wait and say sorry in heaven."
 
And then he rolls over. And that is Reuben. Ornery. = ) That child tries my patience every day, and tries to see what he can get away with. Pretending he didn't hear me, or trying to make up little lies to get away with not brushing his teeth or using the bathroom when asked. Sigh. Good thing it is time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment