A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Monday, June 25, 2012

Reuben

Saturday I got home from a baby shower - my short time away from the house! My wonderful brother had come over to watch Jonah and Reuben for me. Reuben had woken up extremely early for him - 5:30 a.m. that morning, but seemed pretty normal. Around noon, he started to fall asleep on the couch - which, again, I didn't think abnormal considering the wake-up time! But when I went to pick him up about half and hour later to transfer him to his bed, he was burning up. 102 degree temp. Argh. Seriously, it seems about 50% of the time that Eli is not home, one of the boys gets sick. He spent the rest of the afternoon lying on the couch, feverish, not talking, and throwing up after attempting a popsicle and later, water. My parents came over at dinner time to help and pray, and later my mom came back again to spend the night. I am amazed at single moms everywhere: I was terrified of having a nursing baby during the night, plus a possible throwing up three year old - all on my own!

I snapped this pic before I picked him up and realized he was actually sick!

Thankfully, the throwing up stopped, although Reuben was up a couple times. His fever was on and off through the day Sunday, and finally broke about bedtime last night. Sigh. My dad stayed the night last night, just to ensure we were good to go! Family is so good! Eli's mom came by yesterday to visit, just to give me some adult conversation since we were stuck at home. = )

Again, one of those weekends that you don't plan on! I had my ideas and my schedule of how things might play out ... and had to shelve all those. It was a good lesson (as motherhood constantly is) on selflessness, as I was cuddling a feverish boy, nursing a baby, and working to give Jonah projects to keep occupied. There was nothing about fulfilling what I would have liked to do, or get accomplished. I would have loved a sweaty workout - had to go. Maybe some time to get out and run errands all together? nope. It wasn't, and isn't about me. And yet I woke up this morning so grateful for God's faithfulness to us. Everyone is (mostly) healthy now, and help arrived when needed most.

No comments:

Post a Comment