A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Friday, August 23, 2013

Quinoa: Thai-Style

My mother-in-law dropped off some grocery ads last week for me to look through (we sadly cut our newspaper subscription several months ago to eliminate the cost from our budget). I usually now look online, but she had some coupons for me, and left the ads with them. I found a recipe in the Natural Grocers ad for quinoa that I immediately wanted to try! Thai-style. Anything with peanut butter is also a hands-down winner in my book.

I made a few adaptions, based on what I had on hand, and took out the cilantro. I do like cilantro most of the time, but 1) I didn't have any here; and 2) Eli and the boys really don't like cilantro. I had no hopes of Jonah or Eli trying my recipe unless forcefully administered, but I knew that Reuben would probably have some if it didn't have cilantro in it. Removed. I figured it would make a good.easy.quick. lunch for me to grab in the middle of a work and school day.

Really, really liked it! Finished the last today, and think it would make a great accompaniment to a meal when having people over as well. Reuben happily ate it as well. I got a few bites down Matthias, but he was a little unsure ... working on that one (side note: the littlest picky eater in our family is now eating CHEESE and has tried bites of MEAT, raw red peppers, carrots, celery ... yay yay YAY! We're going to win him over to the better side).

Thai-Style Quinoa 
adapted from naturalgrocers.com


2 1/2 c. cooked quinoa
1 chopped red bell pepper
1 peeled and chopped cucumber
2 carrots, peeled and shredded

3 T. creamy peanut butter
1 T. honey
3 T. soy sauce
1 T. rice vinegar
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 T. olive oil or toasted sesame oil

*Combine quinoa and veggies together. Put peanut butter and honey together in a mason jar. Microwave for about 15-20 seconds. Stir. Add in other dressing ingredients, put lid on jar and shake away until combined! Pour over quinoa mixture and stir well. You can serve warm or chilled! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment