A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Memorizing Scripture

It has been a goal of mine and Eli's to get the boys to memorize Scripture. Written on their hearts. Last fall, I posted a few videos of the boys quoting verses that they worked on doing Bible with Eli. I got behind in filming, and in the fall, we ended up falling behind in what we hoped to accomplish while Eli was finishing his thesis.

We worked to get back on track in the spring, and then worked on some this summer (VBS sure helped!), and have a plan for the fall semester. With Jonah in 1st grade, Reuben in preschool, it is amazing what their minds can memorize and store away. As long as I put the time slot on Eli's calendar, it gets done. Team effort = )

They learned five verses in the week they went to VBS at church. And got little Bible buddies (like dog tags) that have the verse written on them that they can wear around and look at. It is in faith that we teach them the Word ... in faith as we see how God knows right when to bring a verse back up to the surface in our minds in a timely moment. His Word will not return void. In faith that we continue to teach principles to them - not always seeing results as they are young. But teaching. Instructing. Directing. {Praying}

Today, I got a glimpse of His work. The boys had done amazingly well in school today with me. They had really helped each other and were just plain getting along well. At one point, I looked over at them and said, "Boys, I am very proud of your attitudes and the way that you are really encouraging each other today!"

Reuben looked right up at me and responded instantly: "Yup, Mom. Remember, 'Encourage each other and build each other up. 1 Thessalonians 5:11' ".

I felt like I could burst at that moment. Amidst the daily fights, squabbles, tears, and "IT'S NOT FAIR" ... a gem. A Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment