A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Friday, September 27, 2013

Caramel Popcorn

The are many traditions that are important to me, Eli, and our families. And even now, I continue to love how each of our families is sooooo different, and how they have different holiday, seasonal, birthday traditions that live on. It makes it so much fun!

When I started to be around Eli's family more during the holiday/Christmas season, I was introduced to his mom's AMAZING caramel popcorn. I can't remember off the top of my head where she got it from, I wouldn't be surprised if it was her mom's, because many of her favorite recipes are. All I know is that it is worth the indulgence. It certainly is one of those things that none of us really make other times of year. Maybe for a special movie night or get together with friends ... but it just sings autumn and holidays!

A couple weeks ago, though, the weather turned cool for a few days (Um, we're back in the 80's now!), and it really  felt like fall had come! I had the urge, people. Pumpkin, apple, baking days are here! I just need to get people over to the house to share things with. Truly, the big joy for me is making and giving. I do like to taste - hello, sweet tooth! - but I also l.o.v.e. to give and share goodies. But, caramel popcorn just sounded so good! So, oh well that it isn't November yet, I made it anyway!

It seems like a fairly foolproof recipe to me as long as you follow it as given! Try and enjoy!


Caramel Popcorn 
8 quarts popped popcorn
2 c. brown sugar
1 c. margarine or butter
1/4 c. corn syrup
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda

*Put your popped popcorn in as big a baking dish/roasting pan as you've got. Heat your butter, sugar, and corn syrup in a saucepan on med heat until boiling. Boil for 5 min - continuing to stir so nothing burns. Stir in salt. Turn on heat and add in baking soda, stirring well as you'll see the baking soda causes a reaction in your sugar mixture, it will change color and possibly double in size. Pour over popcorn and stir well so every kernel is coated! Bake at 250 degrees. I like to stir mine about every five minutes or I find it starts to burn on the bottom. About 15-20 min, and then pull out, let cool! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment