A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Coconut Almonds + Complications

One of the gifts from Eli for my birthday was this bag of deliciousness:


Yup. I L.O.V.E. nuts. Most any kind. And you know, sometimes when you want to indulge in something, these flavored almonds just hit the spot! I hadn't seen this kind before, but I really like them. I've worked to only allow myself a few each day, so that the package will last longer! Eli and I both tend to like stuff with coconut and/or coconut flavoring, so he was a smart man to pick these out!

***
Reuben has been fighting a nasty cold for well over a week. I think he's much better in one sense, but he is still really whiny and exhausted. And e.v.e.r.y.l.i.t.t.l.e.t.h.i.n.g. necessitates a breakdown. I literally cannot count the number of times on Thursday that he cried over the positioning of mega blocks in the tower he was building. It about drove me to pull my hair out. Those are the times I do not know whether to send him to time out, send him to his bedroom for a nap, or pull him in my lap and just rock the poor boy. Or a combination of any of the above. He just can't seem to get to 100%. We're toying around with just taking him to the doctor to see if there is anything else wrong with him (he has been known to deal with ear pain until his ear drum ruptures - and we had no idea his ears were hurting! High pain tolerance ...)

Anyway, I was trying to get him ready for bed tonight. Laid him on the floor to help him undress/dress, because at this point in his day, NEVERMIND asking him to do it himself. Not tonight. He had already nodded off on our way to the grocery store, so I knew he was exhausted. "My hands hurt" he says as I pull his shirt off him. "My bottom hurts" he says as I pull off his pants. Yes, buddy, I know, I know. I know you are tired. I know you don't feel that good. "My cheeks hurt" - which I know they do! They are chapped from his runny nose.

And then he stops. Sighs loudly. Looks at me seriously. "Mommy, I'm just complicated"
Complicated?
"Yes, Mommy, complicated"

Oh Reubs ... = ) I'm not sure complicated is quite the right word, but you are one heck of a three year old! When I think of having three teenage boys in my house at some point 12 years down the road, I admit, I do cringe slightly. But, I also think that though it will be - well, something - it might not be as "complicated" as it could be with three girls, right?

And hopefully Reuben's insight into his own complications will end on a happier note and he will get all the way better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment