A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Friday, January 20, 2012

Zacchaeus Was A Wee Little Man ...

We have started reading a book with Jonah each night: "Leading Little Ones to God". My parents actually used it when I was little, and it is a way to break down who God is, who Jesus is, and everything in between! Eli and I had been talking about how in our daily life, we "talk" about God and Jesus all the time with the boys, but haven't always been as purposeful as we would like to sit down and explain. What does Savior mean? What does it mean that God is our Father?
So, we began this little devotional, and Jonah is eating it up! The next day, he frequently brings back up the topics we've talked about and asks more questions. I love it! Reuben, of course, sits with us on the couch, but there aren't many pictures in the books, and he tends to start asking questions about completely random subjects.
But last night, Eli was reading and Reuben was sitting in my lap. He listened for a couple minutes, and then kinda laid back and looked up at the ceiling. I figured his attention span was a goner. And then he looks at me and says:

"Mommy, Zacchaeus wanted to see Jesus."
Zacchaeus? He did?
"Yes, and he climbed up in a tree, and then he gave his money back again"
Because he wanted to obey Jesus, didn't he?
"And they go to Zacchaeus' house"
Where did you talk about Zacchaeus last? (because we hadn't read this story recently)
"In class"

Toddler Children's Church. My sweet boy - I had no idea on a Thursday night, he would remember a lesson from Sunday morning and tell it back to me! We talked a bit longer, and then he was ready to snuggle in bed. But, even in a two year old, God is imprinting His story ...

No comments:

Post a Comment