A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Quinoa and Black Bean Salad

Last week I decided I needed to make something out of the quinoa that had been sitting in my cabinet for a few weeks, and hadn't been cooked up into anything. I googled up some recipe ideas and found one on epicurious that I wanted to tweak! I love quinoa salads that keep well in the fridge for a couple days and can be pulled out for a quick snack or meal!



Quinoa and Black Bean Salad - Plus Kale!
- 1 c. quinoa
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 T. red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 c. cooked corn
- one diced green bell pepper
- 3-4 heaping cups of chopped kale
- 5 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground chipotle powder
- 1/4 c. olive oil

*Wash quinoa in a fine sieve. Cook quinoa according to preferences (some like to boil, some like steam!). Cool. Toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Add corn, bell pepper, and kale. Mix well. Stir in quinoa. Whisk lime juice, seasonings, and olive oil together and pour over salad, mixing well. Salad can be served room temp, chilled, and stored in fridge! YUM!

It deserves a note that quinoa and the black beans together make a complete protein. So, definitely a great option for a meatless meal day! I ate it up for three days and loved every bite!

1 comment: