A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Barbequed Chicken

1: I have not felt very motivated to cook much this summer. It's hot. Seems silly to use the oven much. And I've been tired of my "usual" recipe lineup.
2: This means I have Eli grilling quite a bit, which is good. But, still, our grilling hasn't been exactly "inventive". And the times that I've really wanted to make shish-ka-bobs, I've been bummed to remember that my skewers are packed. Packed in the boxes sitting in my parents' basement while I wait wait wait for my house to sell. = (

So, a couple weeks ago, I realized that I needed to spice up my dinners. Try some new recipes, try some recipes that I've eyed for quite some time on blogs, but just hadn't gotten down to trying.

I'm constantly oogling over browneyedbaker.com's recipes ... mostly her desserts, because they look TO.DIE.FOR! And the few that I've tried have turned out really well. So, I decided that I should look over her "regular" recipes and maybe find something to give a try.

We found a winner.

Eli declared that this was the best homemade barbequed chicken that he had ever had. Not sure if that is really true, but when a wife serves her husband a meal, and those are the words of appreciation she receives? Why question them? Just smile, enjoy it myself, and plan to share it with friends. Which we promptly did the following week. Although there are a few steps to the recipe, it actually goes pretty quickly, and I was able to do it (Eli did the actual grilling) with a toddler on my hip nearly the entire time. I'm more inspired - once again - to add some new ideas to our dinners!



I had to tweak her recipe slightly, because I didn't have all the spices/ingredients, and I felt like I could go ahead without them. So, here's my modified recipe = )

Spicy/Sweet Grilled Chicken

3 lb Chicken Drumsticks
Brine:
2 quarts cold water
½ cup kosher salt
¼ cup light brown sugar
Smoked Paprika Rub:
3 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoons salt
4 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
Spicy Apple Glaze:
2 cups 100% apple juice
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup applesauce
1 cup granulated sugar ( I think I did half to three-fourths)
½ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup thinly sliced fresh ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1½ teaspoons crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon salt

Directions:

1.Combine the cold water, salt, and brown sugar. Stir well until sugar and salt has dissolved.Place the drumsticks into a gallon-size zip-top bag and pour the brine over the top. Seal and refrigerate for at least 1½ hours, turning the bag occasionally: I brined mine for about 4-5 hours.
2. While the chicken sits in the brine, mix all the ingredients for the rub in a bowl and set aside.
3. Next, prepare the Spicy Apple Glaze. Combine all of the ingredients, in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Once the mixture has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until it has reduced to about 1 cup, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside!
4. Remove the chicken from the brine (discard the brine) and set on a clean cookie sheet. Season all over with the Smoky Paprika Rub and let sit at room temp for 30 minutes.
5. While the chicken is resting, preheat the grill to a medium-high heat.
6. We believe in cooking bone-in chicken low and slow. So, once you get the chicken on, let it sear for a few minutes, and then turn down the heat, close the lid, and they may cook as long as 30 min (turn them, of course!). During the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking, brush the drumsticks all over with the Spicy Apple Glaze. Coat them several times!
7. Remove the drumsticks from the grill to a clean plate and cover with foil if you're waiting a few minutes to eat, or devour right away! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment