A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Farewell Dinner

I should completely be in bed by now. Yes, that's me. If I had my way, I would be in bed every night by 9 p.m.! 9:30, at the latest. Still getting up a couple times a night with baby boy, and I am just one of those people who needs a lot of sleep. One of those who doesn't like staying up late. Slumber parties weren't that great for me! I would rather go to bed early and wake up early. Perfect Day. = )

But, I do need a quick recap of Friday night. About three weeks ago, I got a text. A text saying that Natalie needed to tell me something. Something about her living in Lawrence. My heart sank. I knew that there was a chance my dear friend/boss might not be staying here. Her hubby graduated from law school at KU this spring, and had been job searching in Colorado. And yes, they were moving. From here to Denver. In a matter of four short weeks. Sigh. I texted back I might cry all the way through teaching BodyStep class that night at the gym.

It has been three weeks of cramming in workouts together when we can, chatting more on the phone than usual, and she even found an evening to drop by and play outside with the boys, who adore Ms. Natalie. And three weeks of trying to pretend that she isn't leaving (at least, on my part!).

Natalie and I met two+ years ago at the gym. She was just starting to teach, so we were introduced to team teach a class so that she could take over a time slot. And, a couple weeks after that, I somehow roped her into working out with me after seeing her do lateral side raises in a side plank. And the rest is history! She has taught me so much! In many areas - not just exercise! But, she was the one who encouraged me to follow the dream of getting my PT certification. Saw something in me that I didn't bring up to lots of people, because I didn't know if it was worth talking about.

And through that, we became friends. Friends who chat about weird healthy foods to try, workout routines, life, jobs, homes, husbands, and whatever comes to mind! And now my friend is moving away. Hard for me to grasp. I often see her at least five times a week, just passing through the gym, and now she won't be there! I guess some road trips to Colorado are in our near future.


There is a lot more I can say ... but she will be greatly missed. Not just by me, but by the many, many women who admire her, look up to her, and call her a dear friend. But, I know that she and her husband will love Denver and that God has some great things out there for them.

Friday night, the trainers from the gym went out to dinner at Mariscos as a bittersweet girls' night out in honor of her!


I know we're the kind of friends that will still be friends a state away, but it is still not easy to say goodbye and to see someone move away. And so while I'm homeschooling this week, teaching classes, doing laundry and other housework, prepping for youth group and Bible study ... it is kind of looming in my mind that Friday I have to say goodbye. Ugh. There are those times in life that just are not easy to face, and this is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment