A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"Happy" Father's Day

I feel like I've spent many a Father's Day or Eli's birthday feeling behind. I admit it ... I put off shopping trips because they involve one Mommy and three little boys, and then suddenly the day is nearly upon us. And I don't have a good card, or we don't have all the presents together. My ducks aren't in a row. And when I compare that to Eli, well, I fall woefully short. Not that he has ever ever said anything! But, his gifts are always thoughtful and surprise me in a good sort of way - the way that reminds me "he really knows me!" And he has always gotten the boys to the store and things in order.

And so this year I was determined to be ahead of the game. I planned gifts - bought group gifts with both sides of the family. Picked out a special little craft for the boys to make him. Got all my errands accomplished by the morning before! I was feeling good about it.

Then, then came the morning of.

Eli left for work a little after seven. I was prepared to have the boys make the craft, wrap presents and have everything laid out before we left for church. I needed to hop in the shower, and everyone seemingly seemed occupied.

But why should I have thought that? Nearly every time I get in the shower, Matthias does something ornery. Unless I've caved and let him watch a 20 minute show. Eating toothpaste. Climbing on the kitchen counter. Dumping laundry detergent. I'm trying to get everything out of his reach, but it is impossible. So, while I was in the shower, he dumped a bottle of Downy Wrinkle release all over the carpeted closet in Eli's and my bedroom. Sigh. Got out, figured that all out, put him in time out (which he was NOT happy about) and attempted to sop as much out of the carpet as I could.

I left him sitting in time out on my bed for awhile (did I mention a couple days ago he had been disciplined for getting into that VERY SAME BOTTLE and trying to spray it? Yup. I thought that issue was done), and went to print the tree trunk picture for the craft. My printer wouldn't print brown ink. Ran upstairs to try and print on my parents' printer ... we couldn't get it to print either! My mom realized my frustration and offered to draw it. Handed that part of the project over to her, and went downstairs to prep paint for the boys to make handprints as the leaves of the tree.

Oh, and I think I finally removed Matthias from my bed, we discussed his wrongs, and all was well with him.

Reuben realizes that I want him to place the palm of his hand in paint and press it on the paper. Apparently, this is equal to sheer agony. He begins crying and rolling on the floor, going on and on about "not getting paint on my hand!" Sorry. I seriously thought all my boys would L.O.V.E. getting messy for Daddy's card. He cries for about 15 minutes while I attempt to reason with him: we can't give a card to Daddy with only two boys' handprints on it; it won't hurt; it washes right off; etc etc etc. No bueno. I eventually have the two other boys do their full handprints, and then I hold Reuben, do only his fingerprints, while he continues to cry like I have asked him to eat cow poop or something. After I wash his hands, he proceeds to lay on my bed and continue to whine and cry.

At what point I begin to cry as well. My plan ... my morning ... not quite what I thought it was going to be. I just wanted to having everything perfect for Eli!!!

In the midst, I knew, just knew, deep down, that this wouldn't really matter in three hours and we would be able to laugh about it, but it still just felt horrible. My mom came down the stairs, hugged me, and took the three boys upstairs for me to fix my hair for church. I laid out the presents and the card, and Reuben came down the stairs (directed by Oma, I am sure), and sheepishly hugged me and apologized for his behavior.


We went to church, came home, and gave Eli all his stuff! I re-told the story, and we laughed, and Reuben proudly smiled next to Daddy next to the other boys and his craft = )

A Father's Day to remember = )

Yup, these are the kinds of gifts in our house!


No comments:

Post a Comment