A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Advent Calendar


Last year Eli gave me one of my Christmas presents early
- an Advent Calendar -
and proceeded to spoil me all the month long of December.

This advent calendar has a door for each day.
And each day I would open a door, find a written clue
and hunt down a treat that he had carefully hidden
somewhere within the house.

It was a lot of fun!
Eli has always liked doing things that surprise me,
and he is really a fantastic husband in terms of leaving me
little notes, and just small things that demonstrate his love for me.
So, it added a little "extra" to our Christmas last year.

Well, Jonah was old enough last year to figure out that Mommy
was often getting treats each day - which I willingly shared with him.
So this year, Eli decided to transform the Advent to include both boys.
(and yes, the clues have gone from "husband/wife"
to general rhymes appropriate for little ears as well)

His clever clues lead us all over the house, day after day.
We usually find one small candy for each of us,
but we have also found chapsticks, stickers, fruit snacks,
special stockings, and other small gifts.

All Jonah has to do is say his regular "TREASURE HUNT!"
and Reuben trots down the hall after him to Mommy's dresser.
They know what it means.
And Jonah loves to hear us read the clue out loud so he can try and figure it out.

I so appreciate Eli making the effort to do this for us each day,
to plan hiding spots, to write his rhymes-
He truly loves me more than I deserve.
And as our family grows/changes ...
I think the Advent will keep our Christmas plans company,
year after year ...

1 comment:

  1. What a fun and unique tradition! I think we may adopt this one when we have little ones :)

    ReplyDelete