A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Growing like a Weed

My little Abram is certainly setting the record for Brooks boys. We were at the doctor yesterday (ANOTHER EAR INFECTION!), and the not-so-little guy is nearly 13 pounds! At 2 1/2 months old! I think the other boys didn't crack 13 pounds until they were nearly four months old = ) In other words, he knows that he needs to be solid in order to handle the craziness that surrounds him everyday. We have totally left behind his 0-3 month sleepers, and are growing into 3-6 month size.


Although he has been sick at least half of his little life, he still shares smiles, coos, and almost giggles with us everyday. And there are three big brothers just waiting to coax all that baby goodness out of him! I wish I could peek ahead two years down the road and see what he is going to look like.


I have certainly learned that my daily expectations have to change and loosen up. But, at the same time, I'm learning grace, and learning that there are more important things than a clean house. Like seeing a triumphant 5 year old reading Cat in the Hat to his mommy. Helping a 7 year old conquer cursive writing (and he loves it!). Sitting and snuggling a 2 year old when he just needs some time in mommy's arms. Getting school done, work done, and basics done when possible are the main accomplishments of our days. And in the moments when that feels frustrating to me, I have to remember that Abram will only be little for a bit of time ... nursing for a short bit of his life. And then? Then he will be running down the halls, reaching towards us with grubby hands that have played hard. And although I might be able to find the time to clean bathrooms a bit easier in two years, I really truly am working to treasure these days.


How many times have I been asked if we will have a fifth??? Can't even count. Eli pipes up quickly "DON'T ASK HER THAT FOR AT LEAST TWO YEARS!!!" And I won't say. We don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. But I'm not going to let this time slide past without relishing it, because it will be gone before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment