A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Roller Blading

When I was younger, my older brother was waaaaayyyyy into roller blading for quite some time. We had a half-pipe ramp built in our driveway, and he and his friends were always ramping, skating, and incurring probably hosts of injuries! One my friends was pretty good, and he even traveled a bit with a small team that did tricks in parking lots and set up little "locations". I think at one point I had a pair of roller blades that I got used at Play It Again Sports = ) Even when your older sibling is a boy, you still want to be "cool" in his eyes, right? I suppose that is why I remember when I was 14 or 15 wearing some pretty baggy black skater pants and thinkin' I looked pretty sweet. Thankfully, a short-lived fashion statement for me!

Last week, a family from church had us over (okay, I wasn't able to go, but Eli and the boys went) for two purposes: One, to have the boys swim with their teens in their indoor pool; and two, so that we could look through items left over from their garage sale to see what if we wanted any of it before it all got donated.

And in that pile of goodies was a pair of roller blades.

Just so happens they fit a certain seven year old boy that lives in my house = )


Jonah is determined to master his roller blades. Which means that he has them on at least once a day, and he is working up and down the sidewalk in front of the house. Which means that I'm looking towards many skinned knees, elbows, and palms! We haven't had a chance to go buy protective gear, so he wears his helmet and I cover my eyes.

Just kidding.

He is pretty wobbly, and he has fallen a lot of times. But, as he is just learning, there isn't any great speed going on, so he usually gets right back up, brushes off the dirt, and goes again.


And then Eli found that he had kept his roller blades, so the other night, he got out there with Jonah and practiced with him. A little blonde boy was SOOOO happy to have Dad out there with him! I am not sure how long the faze will last, but the main thing is that we are outside a lot. And I love it! We have the sidewalks, great neighborhood streets to traverse, and the boys are making friends with kids around. Loving our new home!

No comments:

Post a Comment