A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Friday, January 17, 2014

Power Energy Balls

I got to celebrate my birthday this week ... which was fun. It was a lucky year in that my birthday fell on Eli's day off, which meant we got lots of family time at home (and I got a nap!!!!), and then had dinner out with two wonderful friends, sans kiddos. And sushi at that!

That was Monday, and on Wednesday I went over to Amy's house to make laundry soap. We make homemade laundry soap, and since the recipe makes 5 gallons, we usually make it together at her house, and then split it between the two of us. Seriously, 5 gallons, and probably the cost for the ingredients is less than $3. And, my clothes are always clean. Stains come out, and I have not had any problems since switching over to it from Tide. Yay!

But, Amy had a some homemade granola and energy balls for me that she had made - as a birthday gift! Which was so sweet ... and shows how well that girl knows me = ) Both were delicious, but I loved these power balls, and got the recipe from her ASAP.

I am fairly addicted to trying new protein/power ball recipes. One, they are simple to make. Two, no baking required. Three, when I'm starving after a workout, or need a little something before teaching a class, these hit the spot. Four, there are other people in this house that like them too! And, I like that there are no preservatives in them: not necessarily low in calories, but we're talking good for you whole grains and healthy fats. All things that the body needs.


So, I still love my quinoa balls, my peanut butter protein balls, and now I just have another one to throw in the roundup!

Amy's Energy Balls

1 c. old-fashioned oats
1/2 c. ground flaxseed
2/3 c. shredded coconut
3/4 c. peanut butter (or other nut butter)
2 tsp. cocoa powder
1-2 tsp. instant coffee (decaf or regular)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/6 c. honey
*Mix all together and shape into balls - probably about one inch in diameter. Store in the fridge to have on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment