A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Friday, November 7, 2014

Soccer


Soccer season is well over and we have moved into basketball season (for Jonah). This was the boys' first year playing soccer and they both really loved it so much. Jonah definitely connected with his teammates and got in there and we saw some great improvement. Eli played soccer for many years, and so he did really great with playing with the boys in the backyard during the week, and keeping them excited about playing! Reuben did better than we thought (I was worried he would be the kid standing on the field, completely spacing out) and was very much focused on his game and pretty intense-faced during games. He did great, and had fun with the boys on his team.

Even though they are young, I can see how we're going to be getting into those years soon in which we have to decide how to be involved in sports and activities. Do we really focus and push into one or two? Or just let them try what they want, and maybe enjoy a lot, but never really achieve a high level in one thing? I see families in which soccer soccer soccer consumes their weekends. And I'm not really sure I want to be there. But, I also never want to hold the boys back if they really find something they excel at. And so, it is a guessing game as we enter a bit more social and activity time as Jonah and Reuben get bigger.

Either way, I know it will take prayer and all of us being willing to work together and be flexible as we figure it out. I think back on all the gymnastics and dance classes my mom took me to (and with four other kids to homeschool and take care of) and I am really grateful my parents made those sacrifices - financially and timewise - because I have great memories of those times. And I want to give the boys opportunities to participate in activities, without letting the activities and sports control us.

Jonah was ready to jump right into basketball season, and is loving getting to know new teammates and go to practices. But Reuben didn't even ask to play = ) The difference between my boys. I overheard Jonah asking him a week or so ago if he was going to play basketball sometime, or if he wanted to. Reuben shrugged his shoulders and said "maybe someday when I'm in second grade". Not nearly as social as his brother, he is happy to attend Jonah's games and not worry about it. He rather prefers it.

Getting ready for the kick in





Just love this picture = )

No comments:

Post a Comment